AP Language
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question Four

5 posters

Go down

Question Four Empty Question Four

Post  Leanne Ottaviano Mon May 02, 2011 12:00 am

I believe Jimmy Cross's name is symbolic because of the fact that his initials are JC, which also stands for Jesus Chirst. Jesus had a friend named Martha and so does Jimmy Cross. Several references in the book lead the reader to associate Jimmy Cross with Jesus Christ like when Lee Strunk "rises from the dead". On page 13 in chapter 1, the author says the other soldiers "made jokes about [Lee Strunk] rising from the dead" and coming "right out of the grave" which is another hint that Jimmy Cross symbolizes Jesus Christ because Jesus rose from the dead. Also, Jimmy's last name is Cross and Jesus Chirst died on the Cross trying to save humanity from thier sins. In my opinion, Jimmy Cross symbolizes Jesus Christ and religous references throughout the book.

Leanne Ottaviano

Back to top Go down

Question Four Empty Response to Leanne

Post  Marina Shehata Tue May 03, 2011 6:23 pm

Leanne makes a good point on Jimmy Cross's name. The chapter "In the Field," Jimmy Cross felt like he was at fault for what had happened in Kiowa. He stated that Kiowa was his good friend and took a risk by going back to the over-flooded field to find him. Just like how Jesus Christ would not leave one person behind, Jimmy Cross was determined to not leave without finding Kiowa even though he was dead.

Marina Shehata

Back to top Go down

Post  Swayze Page Wed May 04, 2011 3:13 pm

I concur with the conclusions that are drawn by Leanne. Everything Leanne stated is true. I believe the name is in direct reference of Jesus Christ. Jimmy Cross may also be a reference to the religion of christianity as a whole. The majority of Americans in the war were of the christian religion or had the same values that the christian religion holds. This character symbolizes good even amiss bad or evil. He also symbolizes the silver lining in every situation. Jimmy Cross plays the important role of religious affiliation throughout the war. In the war sometimes religion was all that the characters had to maintain their sanity. Through their religion soldiers are able to maintain their values and sanity in order to survive mentally as well as physically. Overall, Jimmy Cross symbolizes the good in every way and in every form and is frequently compared to the Jesus Christ.

Swayze Page

Back to top Go down

Post  abbgately Wed May 04, 2011 3:39 pm

Leanne, you made a really good point about the ties between Christ and Cross. The only other thing uniting the two is the sacrifice for others. Jimmy Cross gives up a lot for his men. When Cross burned the tangible items from Martha, he was trying to clear his head to be a better leader for his men. Cross also had no desire to be the leader of the group, yet he stepped up to the responsibility and led his men the best he could. They all looked up to Cross as he tries to protect them from the emotions of war.

abbgately

Back to top Go down

Post  Domdith Wed May 04, 2011 11:56 pm

Leanne, I agree fully with your connection of Jimmy Cross to Jesus Christ. I liked how you pulled out the exactly were the quote came from "Page 13 Chapter 1" to help support your claim of jesus rising from the dead and the quote in the book eluding to the same thing. You did mention Martha but it seemed like Martha had more of a connection than Jesus having a friend named Martha. Jimmy Cross burned the pictures and letters of Martha to show a sacrifice to his troops that he thought would help him concentrate on the war more. Jesus Christ died on the cross like you mentioned but i felt like it was the sacrifice that brought the two men together.

Domdith

Back to top Go down

Question Four Empty Re: Question Four

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down