AP Language
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question 7

3 posters

Go down

Question 7 Empty Question 7

Post  jackielaurente Wed May 04, 2011 11:59 pm

"The Things They Carried" showed no structure of a beginning, middle, or end. It is mostly structured around the memories of Jimmy Cross from his experiences in the war. Also, in some parts of the book it flows in order, but then it goes all over the place with different memories. For example, in the first chapter when Ted Lavender gets shot it talks about the affect it had on the men, but later on in the book Cross brings up a memory about when Ted adopted a puppy and Azar killed it. This memory was brought up much later after Cross mentioned Ted was already shot and killed. Even though a memory was brought up in one chapter, he elaborates more later on in the book.

jackielaurente

Back to top Go down

Question 7 Empty response to jackie

Post  Amanda Brandi Thu May 05, 2011 1:57 am

I agree to an extent, I understand what you mean by saying that there is no specific order and there is not really a beginning, middle or an end. Tim O'Brien jumps from event to event and reflects on past events at the most unexpected times; it is quite frustrating. But I feel like there is somewhat of an organization pattern that O'Brien uses, I just am unsure as to what to define it as.

Amanda Brandi

Back to top Go down

Question 7 Empty Re: Question 7

Post  tia94 Thu May 05, 2011 9:29 am

I on the other hand believes that this book has no structure at all, but that is what makes the book so interesting to read. O'Brien brings up all kind of different memories, and some of them may not be in order with the previous, but that is what makes it much more personal, and that's the type of feeling the readers want to get when they are reading a book.

tia94

Back to top Go down

Question 7 Empty Re: Question 7

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down