AP Language
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question 11

4 posters

Go down

Question 11 Empty Question 11

Post  abbgately Wed May 04, 2011 3:27 pm

Spin is a chapter filled with sporadic and random thoughts. The chapter contains a variety of stories that seem scattered and not placed with purpose. Yet these stories create a deeper figurative meaning. As a whole, the title of “Spin” and it’s unconnected stories can be interpreted as the "mind spinning" of a soldier in war. As they fought in Vietnam, soldiers carried a variety of abstract items: memoires, regrets, random stories. All of these pieces serve a distinct purpose. The anecdotes listed in “Spin” create a better understanding of the characters. By knowing what is “spinning” in the character’s mind , the reader can better comprehend the complexity of each of the men.

abbgately

Back to top Go down

Question 11 Empty Reply to Abbie Gately, Question 11

Post  John Patrikis Wed May 04, 2011 5:05 pm

I agree that the chapter "spin" can be symbolic of the soldiers "spinning mind" through out the war, but I took it differently. I thought that "Spin" meant another view of the war because in this chapter, the soldiers are described by giving chocolate to children, and sitting under trees. This was a "spin" of point of view, and emphasized that war is not all bad, and can be somewhat peaceful.

John Patrikis

Back to top Go down

Question 11 Empty Question 11

Post  cody young Wed May 04, 2011 6:50 pm

In my opinion, Spin was an opposing viewpoint to the war, showing a different side that is not commonly seen. As O' Brien states in the opening paragraph, "The war wasnt all terror and violence. Sometimes things could almost get sweet." This is dimonstrated when Azar gave a chocolate bar to a vietnamese boy with a prostetic leg, showing that amist the violence and terror of the war, there was still love and compassion. Also after being led safely through mine fields for five days by their pappa-san, the soldiers grew close with him and showed a great appreciation for his help. These examples give a more humane feeling to the the war and contrast with the violence and profanity.

cody young

Back to top Go down

Question 11 Empty Reply to Abbie

Post  joeg3193 Wed May 04, 2011 6:56 pm

I agree that the chapter Spin, in the context of the chapter as a whole, was largely reminiscient of a stream of conscious type narrative, with O' Brien's mind "spinning" with all the stories the war produced. But, I alo think that this chapter was a way to put a new "spin" on the war, one o falmost happiness and light-heartedness, sch as when the platoon gave the children food, and the scene underneath the tree.

joeg3193

Back to top Go down

Question 11 Empty Re: Question 11

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum