AP Language
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question #2

4 posters

Go down

Question #2 Empty Question #2

Post  jackielaurente Mon May 09, 2011 8:56 pm

The effect given by Rat Kiley telling the story instead of O'Brien shows the audience that there is more than just one soldier who experienced their own challenges through the war. Kiley gives an example of a memory he remembered during the war about a guy who flew his girlfriend out to Vietnam and eventually left him to connect more with the Vietnam culture. O'Brien shows the audience by allowing Kiley to present a personal experience that soldiers during the war were going through their own life changing experiences that could turn in either direction. With the war raging on as it did, a life changing experience having your girlfriend leave you for the enemies land shows the audience that with the war, they faced deeper, unexpecting challenges everyday.

jackielaurente

Back to top Go down

Question #2 Empty Response

Post  Leanne Ottaviano Mon May 09, 2011 9:41 pm

I definitely agree that O'Brien has Rat Kiley tell the story as a way to show the readers that more than one soldier has stories to tell. Every man who fought in the Vietnam war has horror stories in which they are dying to share and get off their chests. The many stories throughout the book told by O'Brien are effective and still emotional but seeing yet another story told from a little different perspective proves that all soldiers have a message they want to share. I also think O'Brien had Rat Kiley tell the story as a way to mix it up and make the book more interesting rather than have the audience read another passage written the same stylistically. The change in speaker makes the book more intriguing in my opinion.

Leanne Ottaviano

Back to top Go down

Question #2 Empty Reply

Post  Connor Leardini Mon May 09, 2011 10:38 pm

I agree with the concept of Rat being utilized by O' Brien as another example that describes the gruesome perspective of war, but I feel as if it may have a deeper meaning than just that. Even though Rat's story is another exemplary point that regards the whole idea behind the book, it definitely presents it in a completely different light. When Kiley told the story of how one of his buddies' girlfriend left him to be one with the environment in Vietnam, that was the start of putting a more personal spin on the war. Throughout the entire book, the style was to present different character's perspectives and takes from the war, yet this is one of the first time that, stylistically, O' Brien utilizes a more personal example to signify one of character's issues. It is true that much of the point to Rat's part in the book is to accentuate the examples given, but it is unique, in the sense that the problems he described were not so much gruesome and painful, but those of which the soldiers, as well as the audience, deal with on a personal level.

Connor Leardini

Back to top Go down

Question #2 Empty Response to Jackie

Post  Carol Fontaine Mon May 09, 2011 10:42 pm

While I agree with both Jackie and Leanne in that Rat Kileys point of view was presented to show other soldiers had stories, I took his narration to demonstrate O’Brien’s compassion for the stories of others as well as his own. In focusing a large chapter of the book on someone else's memory, O'Brien takes the time to develop what he feels to be an important anticdote of the war. The introduction makes the reader assume the story is going to be exaggerated, but as Rat Kiley gets upset and sorrowful when he feels people do not believe him, the events begin to take on an air of factuality. If O'Brian had tried to tell the story on his own, the honesty in Kileys expression would have been lost.

Carol Fontaine

Back to top Go down

Question #2 Empty Re: Question #2

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down