AP Language
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Response to Question 4

5 posters

Go down

Response to Question 4 Empty Response to Question 4

Post  joeg3193 Wed May 04, 2011 6:52 pm

First Lieutenant Jimmy Cross' name serves as a powerful symbol in this book, and it lends itself in describing his role inn the platoon as well as his role in the book. The initials of his name, JC, are shared by Jesus Christ; in this way, as well as the fact that his last name is Cross, Jimmy's name is symbolic of a savior adn someone who faces the brunt of the atrocities of war. Like Chrsit, who suffered for his people, LT Jimmy Cross suffered for his men in many ways. He claimed the blame for both Lavender's death and Kiowa's death as well made a sacrifice (burning the picture of Martha) to prevent his distraction form his task. In these ways, Jimmy Cross is linked to Jesus Christ; and therefore, his name serves as a powerful sybol of religion in this book

joeg3193

Back to top Go down

Response to Question 4 Empty Re: Response to Question 4

Post  Scott Davis Wed May 04, 2011 9:25 pm

I fully agree with this response and feel as though nearly every point was touched upon. However, there was one other major point that I deemed relevant. Suffering appears to be a recurring theme throughout the book, seeing as all the soldiers carry such heavy, emotional burdens throughout the war. I saw another similarity between Jesus Christ and LT. Jimmy Cross in each of their sufferings. Jesus Christ suffered while on the cross. Cross, as well as being tied through the name, suffered not physically but emotionally. Cross suffered from Martha, his love interest back home, that brought him both hope and misery throughout the war in the wonder he had towards her true feelings. Martha is symbolically LT. Jimmy Cross' "cross", connecting both Cross and Jesus Christ.

Scott Davis

Back to top Go down

Post  Connor Leardini Wed May 04, 2011 11:24 pm

I understand both your viewpoints, but have one differing perspective. It is true that Jimmy Cross is an obvious symbolic character meant to represent Jesus Christ ( The relatable initials, last name Cross represent the cross Jesus died on, both characters suffering for the supporting group's actions, etc.) However, with Jimmy Cross backpacking the emotional issues that correlated with his platoon's actions in the war, I felt that Jesus' physical sufferage was inversely proportional to this, further supporting the notion of the the characters being symbolized, but with a slightly differing outlook on it. I also feel that this all ties a religious appeal to the book, giving the readers a sense of relatability to the characters in the story, for no matter how gruesome war is, the people that make up them are still merely humans with nothing but faith guiding them.

Connor Leardini

Back to top Go down

Response to Question 4 Empty Response to Question 4

Post  Domdith Wed May 04, 2011 11:46 pm

Joe, I completely agree with your response and how Jimmy Cross relates to Jesus Christ. I feel like Jimmy cross did play a powerful role in the book as jesus Christ did back when he was alive. I feel like it is cool how Tim O'brein uses the cross in his last name to Jesus Christ dying on the cross like you stated above. In my opinion if you would have elaborated more on the "burning the picture of Martha" to show how the sacrifice that Jimmy made compares to the sacrifice that Jesus made. Lastly I liked how you ended your response saying how he is a powerful symbol of "religion" meaning how important religion was not only in the Vietnam war but in all wars. In war most of the soldiers are constantly wrapping themselves around their faith with prayers and rosery beads.

Domdith

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue May 10, 2011 10:26 am

Scott Davis wrote:I fully agree with this response and feel as though nearly every point was touched upon. However, there was one other major point that I deemed relevant. Suffering appears to be a recurring theme throughout the book, seeing as all the soldiers carry such heavy, emotional burdens throughout the war. I saw another similarity between Jesus Christ and LT. Jimmy Cross in each of their sufferings. Jesus Christ suffered while on the cross. Cross, as well as being tied through the name, suffered not physically but emotionally. Cross suffered from Martha, his love interest back home, that brought him both hope and misery throughout the war in the wonder he had towards her true feelings. Martha is symbolically LT. Jimmy Cross' "cross", connecting both Cross and Jesus Christ.
Scott very nice observation. It's wonderful to read how you were able to get beyond the "surface layer" of the writing. Great analysis.

Admin
Admin

https://aplanguage.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down